Shipwrecked

Okay maybe I'm not totally shipwrecked but heck yeah I've been through some hell this week. In short, it was a blur and rush of events. It all happened in one week. There was the group drama performance, some desktop recorded videos, a video presentation and the worst - an essay written in the PR perspective. I don't even know what's a PR perspective like. Ugh.

But to my amaze (and everyone's), we all got through it. The experience actually feels surreal. For once, I actually forgot about myself and my normal daily activities. All I had on mind was to memorize the script, finish shooting the video and research as much as possible to finish the essay. And oh, the essay. One of the worst every nightmares I had to go through. It's so stupid that I can't believe I did it.

It happened like this:

1. Finished about 10 pages of the assignment.
2. Tried to create a table of contents using the new MS Word 2007.
3. Somehow everytime I tried, all the pages after the TOC got deleted.
4. So I thought, "Okay, better save my progress in case of emergencies."
5. Clicked Save.
6. Suddenly realised I saved it when all the pages after TOC have been deleted.
7. Dead meat.

So after frantically searching the Internet for files recovery programs and finding out that even with the recovered file MS Word can't open it (only gibberish comes out), I had no choice but to redo my entire assignment! Well I actually did sent a rough draft to my email a few days before, it only had 1 page done and the others in point form, but heck it's better than nothing.

In the end, I spent the rest of the entire night (3.00AM onwards) re-writing the whole thing. And yup, I did not sleep. At all. I finished at 6.00AM and since class started at 8.00AM, it was pretty much pointless to try to catch some sleep.

I was actually surprised that I would do such a stupid mistake. I mean I always thought such things were restricted to more....careless people. But now I've learnt my lesson. A very, very hard lesson.

Always, always, ALWAYS, make backup copies and save the file in multiple destinations, be it thumbdrives, external hard disks, online storage...whatever.

Ugh. I wince every time I think about it.

I'm thinking it's gonna turn into some sort form of paranoia. =/

1 comments:

Samantha Chow said...

yup i agree with multiple storage thing! i was using our library's comp the other day doing assignment and suddenly the whole thing shut down and couldnt be opened! luckily i only edited a lil, and tho i just pulled out my pendrive no info was lost. or else... haha