Just something I read in SPM Biology Paper 1

During my Biology Paper 1 in SPM, I read something that made me think a little. It just struck me there and then when I read it. It was something to do with ecology.

There it stated :-

Community: Several species of organisms which live together in the same place.

Now you may wonder why I would find this statement blogworthy. It's something like in one of those widely forwarded emails where it's about how funny and weird English is. You have "Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? ", "Why is abbreviation such a long word?", and many more. I find all these things fun to read because you get so used to the things we see in everyday life that we don't notice its intricate details.

Like what I read in Biology Paper 1. When I read that line immediately I had this thought of how we used the word "community" to describe a group of people in an area. I know the definition of community differ in the field of ecology from society but still I find it humorously disturbing. Right, according to the definition of community in ecology it means different species living in a same area. So if the same definition is to be applied to human society then it would mean that the people in the community aren't of the same species which means that every single individual in a community stand as its own and autonomous species.

Funny huh? But maybe it has some fact, perhaps the meaning of "species" in this context is used to refer to the different classes and statuses of people in a community. So I suppose the richer and more successful people would be classified as the "superior species" while the poorer and less successful people would be labeled as the "inferior species." It sounds like the typical nature of human. I mean animals do that too like there's working ants and soldier ants but do we (humans) have to go so far as to called others a different species?

Hmm...humans. We're the best thing that ever happened to the Earth and the worst too.

0 comments: