Contentment

Many times in my life, this very particular question would run through my mind:

"Are you happy?"

And every single time somewhere deep inside me, I would reply yes.

That question does not represent the emotions you feel at any specific moment in life but rather a single emotion that summarises how you think of your entire life. For me, I've never had any major complains about my life. I rarely allow myself to scrutinise things in life in order to find faults and then get upset over it. In my observation, I notice that many people tend to do so even unintentionally. They like to pick the lowest points in their lives and focus on it thus emerging with the statement, "I hate my life" , "My life sucks."

True, sometimes people use those statements just as a figure of speech or just to intentionally amplify and exaggerate the situation they're facing. But then again, sometimes what you say may have an indirect influence on how you actually feel or think. Unconsciously, you may tend to focus more on the negative aspects of life. Hence, it may cause you to feel dissatisfaction about life when in fact you shouldn't feel that way.

Perhaps one of the reason why I never feel negative about life is due to how I was brought up. It may sound unrelating, but when I was young my mom told me not to use the word "hate" because it has very extreme negative associations. And being a little girl whose mind (is not was =P) like a sponge, I took that to heart. Maybe if you do know me in real life, you might notice that I very rarely, possibly never, use the word "hate." 

So I guess that helped made me cautious about doing things. I don't let myself be bothered by little flawed details that actually doesn't really matter. Thus, that always makes me look on the brighter side of things. =) 

(Sorry Angie, I stole that pic from your blog. Don't know where the copy I had went =P.)

0 comments: